Spring cleanse anyone? – The winter months have finally passed, and it is officially spring! At this time of year, I feel like my body is as ready for a spring clean as well as my house and I’m champing at the bit to get going. THIS is the feeling that I wait for to begin any gentle detox because any earlier than this in the year and I am NOT interested. So why make things harder for ourselves?
There are some key areas to focus on to make this a success and within those areas, you can go do as much or as little as suits your body at this moment. This is not a race, there are no winners and oftentimes less IS more.
Key Focus Areas: Inner body
10hr eating window
Castor oil packs
Increased physical effort
More time in nature
Attending to feelings
For me a typical day will look like this:
– 10 hour eating window means not eating until later in the morning
– breaking my fast with a cup of hot water and lemon
– soup for lunch and a simple meal (no sauce, plenty of veg and protein) for dinner
– 2 litres of herb tea during the day including herbs like fennel, nettle, dandelion root and leaf to support the detox processes
– daily dry skin brushing and ensuring my skin is well moisturised and I include two castor oil packs during the week.
– increasing my daily walks and time outside where possible
– time out to journal at the beginning and end of each day
I always plan to follow this routine for a week at a time – by the end of the first week I check in with my body to see how I’m feeling and whether I need to continue. Often, by the end of the first week, I’m starting to feel the benefits and am happy to carry on. I’ll usually stay in this mode for 2 – 3 weeks before becoming less stringent on diet first of all. However, because we’re not drastically pushing ourselves into a huge detox, it is quite safe to continue if feel it is right for you to do that.
Tune into your body and just see how you get on – let go of any expectation. Just harness the new spring energy and do as little or as much as you like.
Pamela is a medical herbalist and runs an online community for busy women who do too much. Doors open again in March and kick off with a week of free content from the 18th designed to help you reset your stress levels naturally. To find out more and sign up for the waitlist go here: