Beauty Base - Hair care tips for blondes
Whether you are a true blonde, brunette or red head each hair colour has unique qualities and needs to be maintained in a specific way.
1. Know your hair. Though everyone’s hair texture and resilience is different, blonde hair, whether naturally light, bleached or coloured, is much finer than darker hair. This means that lighter hair is much more likely to suffer from the damaging results of over-styling, whether it’s hanging limp and lifeless due to too much product or drying and breaking after heat damage.
2. Don’t skip the conditioner. Having blonde hair means you should probably be conditioning more than you do. You can combat some of the harsh effects of salt or chlorinated water and the sun’s rays if you make sure to keep your hair moisturised properly. Applying a light layer of conditioner before heading to the pool can keep your hair from absorbing some of those undesirable elements, and a weekly deep condition treatment is a must for lighter hair. For example, John Frieda Sheer Blonde Hair Repair Conditioning Treatment can make dry, brittle hair smooth and more resilient if used once a week.
3. Be gentle. Whether you are brushing or just sleeping, your blonde hair strands may break. Try not to style your hair too often; opt instead for a beachy, wavy look that doesn’t require blow drying or straightening. You can also do your locks a favour by sleeping on a satin or silk pillowcase that won’t dry your hair out like cotton covers can.
4. Renew your colour. One of the most difficult parts of caring for coloured blonde hair is keeping the original colour. Platinum blonde has a tendency to develop orange undertones, and copper in tap water can make some blonde shades look brassy. Try a restoring shampoo like John Frieda Colour Renew Tone Correcting Shampoo, which can help repair your hair’s brilliance after just a few uses.
5. Arm yourself with plenty of cover-ups. You wouldn’t go to the beach without bringing your favourite sarong or wrap, so don’t head outdoors without the perfect cover-up for your head. Blonde hair is more vulnerable to UV rays and the best protection is to cover it with a hat or chic scarf if you’re spending quite a bit of time outdoors this summer. Have a choice of headgear available to accessorise whatever you choose to wear.
The basis of any good hair style is proper care and regular maintenance, even more important for lighter coloured hair. Blondes may have more fun but not without putting in some quality time to make sure they look great.
Women Talking would like to offer you the chance to win a selection of hair care goodies for blondes.
To enter just answer the following question:
Where can you buy John Frieda hair care products?
Send your answer to firstname.lastname@example.org ensuring you place the word John Frieda in the subject header and include your Women Talking username with the submission.
This competition is only open to Women Talking subscribers and any submission without a valid username will not be accepted for entry.
This competition has now closed and the winner will be announced shortly.